Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Not in Kansas (for the time being)

I’ve come to California for three reasons. First, I am doing some intensive work with my psychotherapist, Naomi. We’ve been “meeting” on the phone for two years now, and it’s time for some face-to-face work. Second, I am here to deepen my practice. I’m staying at the Sonoma Mountain Zen Center, which is led by Kwan Roshi, a dharma heir of Suzuki Roshi and a good friend of Zen Master Seung Sahn. I’ll also sit a YMJJ down at the Empty Gate Zen Center in Berkeley, with Jeff Kitzes and his students. Last, I will be joined by Margaret on July 20th and on July 22nd we will be married.

As I write this I am aware of the dwindling resources on my computer’s battery and that I left the re-charger in Topeka. I can feel a breeze on my face through the open window and hear the rooster across the road crowing. A fine day on planet earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment