Monday, July 14, 2008

Hot and Cold

We woke this morning to heavy fog that had saturated the trees and fell like heavy rain on the roof of the zendo. It was very cold and even though I wear a long robe and had on a long sleeved shirt I got colder and colder. Walking meditation--kinhin--was better and worse: better because I could move a little and rub my arms to try to warm them; worse because I had not worn socks and the floor was so cold.

During the second round of sitting I had to laugh at myself. Last week was incredibly hot and sitting, especially at night, was very uncomfortable. I am not an especially sweaty person but the sweat was rolling down my face and neck and shoulders. I hated it. So there I was this morning hating the cold and wishing I were warm.

As I told my new friend Vicki tonight, I must try to find the place where there is no hot or cold. She said, "where is that place, Christina." I hit the steering wheel and said "don't know." Vicki laughed and said, "when you find it, take me with you."

1 comment:

  1. Hot and cold are the same or are they different?

    In summer time in KS I wear a hoody indoors, I take it off outdoors.

    ReplyDelete