Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Last Breath

A friend of a friend died yesterday. His name was Ken. I didn't know him. But my friend was distressed, and I feel sad for her. 

I suppose I feel sad for us all. Death is so close to us always, separate from us by nothing more than the thin tissue of our breath. But it's only when somebody dies that death becomes visible. We shiver. We draw closer together. Then life sweeps us up again, and we forget this constant companion who one day will take each of us.

The proximity of death is one reason to practice. It gives us the courage to keep following our last breath, without fear, whereever it leads. 

2 comments:

  1. Christina, these posts are SO wonderful! You told me a while back that this blog was not defunct and I was going to look at it, but forgot. I hope you keep posting whenever your feeling inspired.
    Love,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Richard! I'm trying to be a better (more regular blogger). Cheryl says the peepers are singing up a storm at your place. That makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete